Monday, March 11, 2013

Get Over Ronnie, FFS!

Of course, Samantha Womack is going to say she'd return to EastEnders. She's a professional actor, and actors deal in the realms of professional lying, just like politicians.

Only in their alternative universe, it's called "spin."

Womack has said repeatedly how the character of Ronnie drained her emotionally; however, she's not stupid, and she's not going to look a gift horse in the mouth - that is to say, she's never going to say "never" to returning to EastEnders. Acting is a precarious profession, and Womack is forty and rising. She's in work at the moment, having just finished a West End run and just initiating filming a television series for Sky Living; but she isn't going to make the mistake of - say, a Leslie Grantham or a Patsy Palmer, and slag off the programme, only to find she's got to go back when the other offers stop ... if she's asked.

If she's asked at all, depending on the Executive Producer, her return won't be anytime soon, and Willie Wanker Slater-Mitchell, he who dreams of waking up one morning to find he's morphed into Kat Moon, bully emeritus of the Walford Web Bully Society and Kindergarten, can  just take his hand out of his trousers right now. 

EastEnders has to maintain some modicum of reality, and even though Kat's allegedly "forgiven" Ronnie for kidnapping her son, making her grieve for him and think he was dead for four whole months, the law in Britain doesn't work like that. Part of Ronnie's probation conditions would mean she would not be allowed to live within a certain mile radius of Tommy Moon's family, irregardless of what his feckless mother may say.

Besides, Jack will be gone, assuming he doesn't make a beeline to the prison where she's incarcerated to begin a vigil; and she and Roxy are getting a bit long in the tooth to be portrayed as dynamic party girls. Roxy is a mother, and Ronnie wants to beat the old biological clock and become one. If she returns (and this being EastEnders, they'll find some way for it to happen if the ratings and the rantings of the fanbois and the cheerleaders merit), there's a legion of new men with whom she could copulate in her quest for a child.

For example:-

  • Max. Max is the new Jack, dropping kids with his dripping sperm from corner to corner of the Square. He's a Branning, he's Jack's brother, and there was, at times, a frisson of a possibility that Max would eventually bed Ronnie, if only to get back at Jack for fucking Max's slattern of a wife for over a year.
  • Mas. He's a nice guy, he's single, and he's probably missing Kamil.
  • Ajay. No strings. He'd give her a kid and not bother her anymore.
  • Tamwar. It would cheer him up.
  • Ray. He's hunky and he has form - a rap sheet a mile long of amorous conquests, some with children. Besides, she'd now be linked with Bianca, as her child would be the half-sibling of Mowgan Le Fat. And Ray would at least make certain the kid would eat right.
  • Joey Branning. He's Jack's nephew, he's a Branning and fucking Ronnie would probably make Lauren cry. Of course, Ronnie would have a child who would be a mouth-breather and may even speak unintelligibly, but at least she'd have a baby.
  • Tyler Moon. See Joey, except her baby would be a Moon.
  • Alfie Moon. Well, she stole Kat's baby, now she can steal her soon-to-be-reconciled husband and the current squeeze of her sister Roxy. That would be a nice revenge on Roxy, who got pregnant by Jack, especially if Ronnie got pregnant by Alfie.
  • Michael Moon. Two weirdo control freaks with daddy issues. Add Michael's wife into that equation and you've got a nice threesome.
  • Phil Mitchell. Yes, he's her cousin, but that sort of incest seems acceptable on the Square at the moment. They could make the Mitchell empire even more Mitchell-y. Besides, he slept with her mother. Gotta keep it in the fairmly.
There are other things she can do to occupy her time, if she doesn't want to search for a baby daddy. She can sit around with Kat, comparing botox and being miserable. She can be friends with Sharon and compare notes about Jack. She could scream at Bianca on the market stall. She could engage in a bitch-slapping contest with Janine. She could spend hours crying on Dot's shoulder and receiving Biblical advice. She could trade insults with Kirsty Branning. She could work at McKlunkey's and drink with Shirley.

There's so much she could do, which amounts, really, to so little. Because she's a spent character, basically. Besides, the current Executive Producer stated quite equivocally in two interviews, that she wants to stop the revolving door of actors leaving, only to return a couple of years later because the post-EastEnders' work has dried up. In that respect, Lorraine Newman is right: the show needs to move forward and stop relying on both heretofore unmentioned relatives of various families or old characters returning for an ego-shot and a hefty salary.

Above all, former characters shouldn't return in order to feed the fantasies of the fanbois.

Ronnie's not coming back, and if she is, she shouldn't be, because her return would only confirm the current desperate straits in which the show finds itself.

Get over Ronnie.

8 comments:

  1. Thought it was too good to be true after you had nothing to say when I poked holes in your "the rape/abuse storyline was added last minute" I won't get over Ronnie the same way you fight for Phil I will fight for Ronnie- Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bore very easily when the debate is circular, which is why I chose NOT to respond to your opinions stated as fact. And this is why I'm replying to you this once now, hoping you get the message.

      Delete
  2. I don't know about the discussion you two had re Ronnie's abuse, so I won't stick my oar in too much (aren't I kind, haha!!) :) I do remember when we first met Archie, the scene with Ronnie when he got her onto the couch was so disturbing, I instantly thought that he'd abused her in the past. No normal father would have behaved like that - it set very loud alarm bells ringing for me from the start.

    Anyway, that aside, I agree with you, Emilia - Ronnie is a spent force. Bringing her back would not only be unrealistic to the point of stupidity, but would also boring as hell in my opinion. There's nothing here for her apart from The Plank (Jack), and I suspect he might bog off with Tanya into the wide blue yonder soon anyway.

    I thought Ronnie was a good character back in the day - TPTB should leave her where she is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not shipping Plank and Tanya btw - just think it might be inevitable, although possible barking up the wrong tree. Whatever the case, good riddance to the pair of 'em!

    Would be intrigued to hear your thoughts on the Kirsty pregnancy storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't aim that remark at you, but at the poster who insists on circular arguments about the relevance of Ronnie and can't take a hint when I say this bored me, hence the reason I did not reply when she "demanded." I'm not a performance artist and I'm not paid for my endeavours.

      I actually don't want either Jack or Tanya to leave together, happily or otherwise. Jack has been a bad boy in the past - disabling his daughter is his worst crime; and Tanya has attempted murder. They should both leave on a low. Separately and permanently. I'd love to see Jack carted off to prison and Tanya to rehab.

      Delete
    2. Im not shipping either, I just like Ronnie, and i didn't make any demands, you just get very defensive and aggressive when challenged into a debate, which is why I am assuming you didn't post my earlier response to the "circular" comment. I know you don't like me bc I challenged you but I think its silly because I agree with about 80% of what you write here and I like reading your blog, hopefully you can get over your hostility towards me but I won't hold my breath.

      Delete
  4. Ha, I agree, Jack's a slut and doesn't seem to give a crap about the majority of his kids. Sometimes I don't mind Tanya, but most of the time I want to smack her round the chops. I wish she'd take Lauren with her (spoilt, lazy, obnoxious little madam) when she bogs off, but no such luck.

    ReplyDelete